General Instructions for Post-Operative Care
In addition to the general instructions below, we have included specific care instructions for each procedure on this page.
Please contact us if you have any questions. Dr. Siegel can be reached at 757-547-2115 twenty-four hours a day.
- No alcoholic beverages for twenty-four hours.
- No driving, operating equipment or machinery for twenty-four hours.
- Do not sign any important documents for twenty-four hours.
- Do not stay alone; you will be sleepy and need a responsible person with you for twenty-four hours.
- Rest at home for twenty-four hours.
- Start with clear liquids and advance your Doctor’s ordered diet. For example, after your liquids, try soup and crackers, then a regular diet for your supper.
- Do not take pain medication or antibiotics on an empty stomach. Eat something like crackers before taking medication.
Biopsy or Minor Surgery Patients
• May shower tomorrow
• Take Tylenol for pain
• Apply Neosporin or Bacitracin ointment to sutures twice daily.
• A certain amount of nausea and occasional vomiting is normal – if it persists, please notify your physician.
• Approximately once an hour, take a deep breath, hold it for a second, then blow it all out.
• Watch for heavy or prolonged bleeding. If present, notify your Doctor.
• Watch for signs of infection: fever, increased pain, foul drainage. If present, notify your Doctor.
Post-Operative Phone Call
A representative from Dr. Siegel’s office will call you the day after your surgery. Do not be alarmed. This is a routine call to see how you are doing at home.